Thursday 5 April 2018

Introducing.....Naomi Frances, Glass Maker


Naomi has been working with glass for about 25 years.

"I love the colours and the textures that glass provides and the long history that accompanies it," she says. "I like the structure that the making of stained glass gives me, but I am always looking for ways to push the boundaries."



Following a Graphic Design/Illustration BA from Norwich University College of the Arts and an MA in Sequential Design/Illustration from the University of Brighton, Naomi took a short course in Stained Glass.



"Texture, contrast and colour are things that inspire me, whatever medium I am working in," she says. "I enjoy putting colours and textures of glass together on the lightbox and I like to contrast colours both in glass and in illustration."



Following many thumbnail drawings in her sketchbook, Naomi makes each glass piece using the copper foil stained glass technique developed originally by Louis Comfort Tiffany in the 19th century.



"This gives me the flexibility with the forms my work takes and allows me to take liberties with the objects I include. I make decorative glass landscapes and beach scenes using a collage of shells and found items from local beaches as well as semi-precious stones."

Naomi's work forms part of our exhibition supporting Chestnut Tree House children's hospice, "Through the Eyes of a Child".
The exhibition continues until 12th May.

No comments:

Post a Comment